The international Communication Foundation (ICF) sponsors the Korean Literature Translation Fellowship Program, which is designed to provide prospective translators with financial assistance to develop their skills as translators of Korean Literature so that it can help to publish and disseminate Korean literature abroad. The ICF invites applications from native speakers of English or overseas Koreans residing abroad who are engaged in M.A. or Ph.D. studies in Korean literature, English Literature, comparative Literature or creative writing, whether at a foreign or a domestic university. The applications are divided into two groups; those who study in Korea, and those who study abroad.
The term of the fellowship is one year, renewable, with 24,000,000 per annum (two million Korean won per month) for the In-Korea program and US$20,000 per annum (a quarterly stipend of US$5,000) for Overseas program. During the term of the Fellowship, In-Korean fellowship candidates must be affiliated with a Korean university and pursue research under the supervision of a faculty advisor, and Overseas program candidates must either be affiliated with a program of M. A. or Ph.D. studies, or have received admission for such studies.
Selection criteria will include Korean language ability and translation skills, knowledge and understanding of Korean literature and culture, and a related translation or studies proposal.
APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR INITIAL DOCUMENT SCREENING
– A completed application form (obtained from ICF)
– A sealed letter of recommendation from a professor of Korean literature, English literature, comparative literature, or creative writing.
– A resume in either Korean or English
– Official transcripts for all university studies, both undergraduate and graduate
– A letter, in both Korean and English, explaining the applicant’s interest in translation of Korean literature and the reason to enter this field
– An English translation of the following 2 Korean literary works:
1. 편애영 소설집 ‘저녁의 구애’ (page 56 line 11~ page 58 line 6)- 문학과 지성사 출판
2. 김광규 시집 ‘하루 또 하루’ 중 ‘몰연’ (7행시)- 문학과 지성사 출판
* If the work is unavailable locally, a copy of the work can be requested from ICF.
APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR SECOND SCREENING (FOR THOSE WHO PASSED THE FIRST SCREENING)
– An applicant form (obtained from ICF)
– An agreement form (obtained from ICF)
– A letter, explaining plans for future study and translation of Korean literature
All applications and support materials must be received by ICF postmarked no later than September 28, 2012. The result of the selection will be notified individually in November, 2012.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO
The Korean Literature Translation Fellowship Program
The International Communication Foundation (ICF)
56-15, Jongno 2-ga, Jongno-gu
Seoul 110-122, Korea
Download: application form
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 82+2 2280-7310
For submissions: The Korean Literature Translation Fellowship Program, The International Communication Foundation (ICF), 56-15, Jongno 2-ga, Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-122, Korea